QNX & Real-time
QNX® is our favorite platform for real-time and mission-critical projects. Since day of foundations , RTS-Soft has relied on QNX® OS technology to power their mission-critical applications - everything from rocket engines fire testing in our space/avionics projects till numerous process control applications in metallurgy, food industry, machinery construction, etc.
Small or large, simple or distributed, these systems share an unmatched reputation for operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, nonstop. Time-tested and field-proven, the QNX® real-time operating system (RTOS) sets the industry standard for reliability, fault tolerance, and scalability.
Why we like QNX so much? It's a true microkernel operating system. Under QNX Neutrino, every driver, application, protocol stack, and file system runs outside the kernel, in the safety of memory-protected user space. As a result, virtually any component can fail - and be automatically restarted - without affecting other components or the kernel. No other commercial RTOS provides such protection.
Using QNX Neutrino as your foundation, you can:
- design highly reliable systems that can be dynamically upgraded in the field to extend life-cycle and functionality
- build self-healing systems that can recover intelligently from faults and increase service availability
- scale large or small using only the components you need, or, take advantage of built-in symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) to harness the power of dual-core processors
- simplify the design of fault-tolerant clusters and add compute power simply by plugging another CPU into the network, with transparent distributed processing
- optimize performance through fast and predictable real-time response
- maximize application portability with extensive support for the POSIX standard, which lets you quickly migrate Linux, Unix, and other open source programs
- enhance your system with a sophisticated graphical user interface that supports advanced web browsing, multi-layering, and 3D
- make the most of your processor's physical addressing capabilities through extended memory support that goes beyond 4G. Available for PowerPC, MIPS, and x86
- target the best hardware platform for your system and get up and running quickly with runtime support and BSPs for popular chipsets, including MIPS, PowerPC, SH-4, ARM, StrongArm, IntelR XScaleT Microarchitecture, and x86
RTS-Soft's numerous QNX based projects and products inherit unique features of this outstanding OS.
Development tools for QNX
RTS-Soft is an author of several special-purpose development tools for QNX.
It is QNX Driver Development Kit designed for fast and convenient creation of different I/O drivers. It is an interactive application with friendly GUI which guides you through all stages of driver development process and finally generates the source code of desired driver. Each I/O driver could be debugged remotely through optional debugging application which could connect to one or several I/O drivers in network to read their input or simulate output in real time to check the logic of higher software layers.
Silver(tm) is SCADA/DCS product easily creates distributed process control systems up to several thousands of I/O. It includes numerous editors and configuration tools, own IEC-61131 languages compilers and abovementioned QNX DDK. It is implemented on Java that means it's a cross-platform product.
Octavo(tm) is an IDE targeted for workbench testing in space/avionics and machine-building. It consists of base system and numerous plug-ins for different control algorithms and test environments.
Porting from QNX to Linux or from Linux to QNX
Besides developing under QNX, RTS-Soft offers high-quality porting services from or to this OS. Some may want to gain a cost advantage of Linux platform with its wide diversity of applications or vice versa to get benefits of hard real-time performance under QNX. We have an expertise in both system and can offer prompt, high-quality and cost-effective migration.
Send us RFP right now !